This has been a crazy week. I have known that there was change coming in my 9-5 life, but this week those decisions have been made. While I like change, I am not a fan of being in limbo. I am up for a new challenge. Speaking of challenges, running 3 days in a row is not fun. As much as I love running, I also love not running in between. This week I had 2 easy 5 milers with some speed work in the middle. Let me be more specific: 4 x1600 with a goal pace of 7:57-8:08. So, I did 7:59, 8:04, 8:29 and 8:26 and I learned that I do not like 1600s. It almost made me wish for 400′s instead. I said almost, Coach!
That said, due to my mid-week burnout, here are five things I’ve done this week that were more fun than 1600′s.
1. Yoga – It’s the opposite of speed work. It’s about slowing down and concentrating on every movement. And while yoga is far from easy, I prefer to sweat through a wheel than an 8 minute mile.
Insert photo of Donward Dog Here
2. Hang out at the beach – Spent last weekend at the Outerbanks with the family. Waaay better than speedwork.
3. Snap selfies with Ann Curry. I actually ran the speed work after an interview with her. She is doing a piece around the 1 year anniversary of Hurrican Sandy. I’ll keep you posted on the air date.
4. Attend a speaking engagement with Esmeralda Santiago. She is an inspirational author. Her book, When I Was Puerto Rican is one of my favorites.
5. Update my iPhone to the new operating system. Yes! This was more fun than speed. It’s a bit brighter than I would have hoped, but so be it.
So, you can keep your 1600s and I’ll have fun on the beach with my phone, Ann Curry and an author while doing yoga.
What workouts do you dislike the most, but you know you have to get them done? And more importantly, what do you think about the new iOS7?